‘I’M THE VICTIM’
Rep. Tupas on PDAF issue: My signature was faked
By: Louine Hope Conserva
“MY SIGNATURE was forged.”
This is the alibi offered by Rep. Niel Tupas Jr. (5th district, Iloilo) amid reports linking him to a new Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel fund scandal.
A report by the Philippine Daily Inquirer included Tupas as among the 20 senators and congressmen accused of channeling at least P500 million in pork barrel funds to questionable non-government organizations (NGOs) from 2007 to 2010.
The new set of documents made available by Inquirer.net was provided by four new whistleblowers and will form part of the case prepared by lawyer Levito Baligod.
Baligod is the same lawyer who helped Benhur Luy and other whistleblowers expose the P10-billion pork barrel scam involving several lawmakers and businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles.
How Ilonggo pols see INC controversy
By: Louine Hope Conserva and Crissa Jenina Maghanoy
IGLESIA ni Cristo’s (INC) rally which disrupted Metro Manila last week put on the spot prominent politicians who were made to chose between rule of law and political opportunism.
The rally was triggered by Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Leila de Lima’s move to investigate criminal complaints filed by an expelled INC minister against the church’s leadership.
INC and its more or less 2 million members vote as a bloc, enough to propel politicians to victory although some scientific surveys dispute the claim.
How did Ilonggo politicians view INC’s rally against de Lima and its effect on the political landscape?
Rep. Niel Tupas Jr. (5th district, Iloilo) said there should be balance between people’s right to hold a rally and the state’s duty to investigate complaints.
Execs want more time to answer traffic lights queries
By: Wenceslao E. Mateo Jr.
THE heads of the General Services Office (GSO) and City Engineers Office (CEO) asked for more time to answer questions sent by city councilors relative to the P29-million traffic lights deal.
Councilor Jason Gonzales said GSO chief Joren Sartorio and City Engineer Roberto Divnagracia asked a one-week extension before submitting their replies.
“Anent your letter request dated August 17, 2015 and as per directive of the Honorable Jed Patrick E. Mabilog, we would like to request for an extension of seven (7) days from today or until Sept. 8, 2015 within which to submit our reply on said request,” the two department heads said in a letter dated September 1.